Monday, August 4, 2014

Weekly Feature - My Monday Munchies

I have decided to start a weekly feature for - My Monday Munchies! I will share recipes we like - things we create, things we find, methods for stretching leftovers, ways we save money - maybe it will inspire you as you make your meal plan for the week.

One of my favorite things to do is cook. We do all kinds of cooking at our house. Some days we cook for hours to create huge and delicious meals. Some days we go for the quick and easy meal or leftovers. Some days I fill the crock pot and leave it until dinner time.

Cheese burger, potato salad, cole slaw, and cucumber salad.

It is all about balance. I balance the heavy and exhausting cooking days with the quick and easy. If I cooked for hours everyday, nothing else would get done and I know I would grow to dislike the task. If I only do the quick and easy, I start to hate it as well. I get bored, and it feels like I am cheating on our meals.

My weekly plan usually includes some of the following:
1-2 big cooking meals
1-2 crock pot meals
1-2 of our go to quick meals (spaghetti, tacos, etc) - these take 30 minutes or less
2 medium preparation meals - these may take an hour to cook, but take minimal prep time
A meal of "planned overs" - a planned reworking of leftovers

When I actually take the time to sit and plan a full week of meals, I try to plan one new meal a week. If I am in a hurry, I just use our old standby meals.

 I will share a little bit of everything! 

I am not a trained chef. I have never taken a cooking class. I learned to cook from my mom, my grandmothers, my aunts, my mom's friends, my friends, cookbooks, and cooking shows.

I am no expert, I am just sharing what I do to keep my family well fed.


No comments:

Post a Comment