Monday, August 25, 2014

My Monday Munchies - Our Favorite Potatoes!

Today's recipe is one of our favorites! Jonathan maintains a good sized garden in our backyard. We have 2 4x8 beds of potato plants (about 70 plants!) He recently brought in the first harvest of potatoes and we cooked them up for dinner.



What you need: 
A couple lbs of potatoes, diced (I had about 6 cups diced)*
1-2 large onions (if you like a lot of onion, do 2)
6 cloves of garlic (we really like garlic, if you do not like a lot of garlic I would do 4 cloves)
1 stick of butter
1-2 cups of fresh chopped herbs
Salt and Pepper

 1. Chop your potatoes and onions.


2. Melt the butter over medium heat. (You can use your favorite oil if you want. We have used olive oil before. We just prefer the taste of butter. If you use oil, heat it until it sizzles when you put the garlic in. I usually test it with a wooden spoon first.)


3. Press your garlic into the butter. (You can mince it, but I prefer my Pampered Chef garlic press!) Saute the garlic for a minute to flavor the butter.


4. Pour in the potatoes and onions. Cover and let sit on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes start to soften. 


5. While the potatoes cook, chop your fresh herbs. I used basil, oregano, thyme, and chives. I ended up with over two cups. I really don't think you can have too much!


6. Stir, and then continue to cook uncovered until the potatoes are the desired tenderness and starting to brown.


7. Add your fresh herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Toss and let cook for another minute or two.



These are very flavorful potatoes. They take about 30 minutes. I always make enough to have leftovers for breakfast!

*Don't use store bought Russet Potatoes. That is all I had on hand one day, so I diced them and cooked them up. No amount of seasoning and butter helped those potatoes! I love Russets for baked potatoes and mashed potatoes; but this recipe just needs a different texture of potato. The Russets did not hold the flavor like a red new potato, Yukon Gold, or fingerlings. Pick a good potato and you will get the best results!

No comments:

Post a Comment