Monday, July 21, 2014

Playing Catch Up: Homeschooling Through Illness and Hospitalizations

In April, I had what was supposed to be minor outpatient surgery. I had my gall bladder removed. Due to complications, I had full open surgery instead of laparoscopic surgery. After a night at home I was back in the hospital for the rest of the week due to a biliary leak. I was useless as a homemaker, dance teacher, or a homeschooler for a couple of months. Our house was a wreck, we only finished the very basics of school work, and I got behind on everything!

I have spent the last month playing catch-up. Slowly, our house looks like a home and not a disaster area. We are working through the school work we did not finish, and I am doing a little paperwork every day.

Summer school has been light. We are reading through A Child's History of the World a little each day. We read a few science books, do some activities to support what we are learning, and then we do field trips. We have spent more time at the zoo this month than we did all year, and I love it! We have also been reading some good literature out loud.

For the most part, we are just having fun. We do about 2 hours of read alouds 4 or 5 days a week. We have also spent plenty of time at Mema and Papa's new pool!

Riding the timber wolf after a long swim.


We have two weeks before we start our regular school year, we will keep having fun and see what we get done. We may spend the first month of the new year finishing up work from last year. But that is one of the great things about homeschooling, we could just take that time off. I spent my energy being mom not teacher. The kids did not miss anything while they spent a week with my parents and no one had to worry about getting them to and from school. We all focused on time together and helping the kids not be stressed about how sick I was.

We are almost back to normal around here - well as normal as we every were!

No comments:

Post a Comment