Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ask Me

Prior to beginning this homeschool journey I did a lot of research. I wanted to be sure I did it right (I have come to learn that there is no right, what works for one child may not work for another and that is the beauty of home education.) I came across lists of questions that homeschoolers are asked, things that concern the general public about homeschoolers, things they think will cause the children pain and distress later in life. I know many homeschoolers who have been asked:


Can you do that?
Are you qualified to teach?
How do you get your child to listen to you all day?
How do they learn to stand in line, raise their hand, take turns, share, sit at a desk all day, etc?
How can they pass the state tests?
How will they meet boys/girls?
What about prom, football games?
What about college?
And the big one: What about socialization?


I have been homeschooling for 4 years and I have never been asked any of these questions! Come on, ask me! I spent a full year researching homeschooling before we began, I continued all through our first year. I read every book I could get my hands on. I joined a fabulous support group, I have attended 3 conventions and a parent practicum; I am ready to answer you!


I don’t know why I don’t get asked these questions. I have been asked “why?” But my answer is usually the short version, “It works better with our hectic schedule.” People usually leave it at that. On the occasion that someone has more questions, I love to talk about homeschooling.


Homeschooling our kids has been the best parenting decision my husband and I have made. This has been confirmed to us over and over again through many events and “aha” moments over the last 4 years. I want to share my joy! So ask me!


Can you do that?


Yes, homeschooling is legal in all 50 states! And yes, I am capable. I enjoy teaching. I have been teaching my kids in some way since the day they were born.


How are you qualified to teach?


I successfully finished a masters degree. Yes, it was in theatre, but I am confident in my ability to teach elementary school subjects like math and science. Besides, I don’t have to know everything. There is so much wonderful curriculum to choose from. School teachers have books they teach out of, that is what I do, too.


How do you get your child to listen to you all day?


Discipline. They listen as well as they always have. School is just a part of our lives, there is not much division. We eat breakfast, we do some school work, we eat lunch, we finish our schoolwork, then we play. Sometimes we just read, but we read from history and science books as well as picture books and novels.


How do they learn to stand in line, raise their hand, take turns, share, sit at a desk all day, etc?


We go to the grocery store, they stand in line with me there. Raising your hand does not take years of practice to learn. They take turns with each other all day.  They share with each other. Why should my 6 and 8 year olds be trained to sit at a desk all day? That is not the life I want for them as adults. Mom and dad don’t work at desks all day, my kids don’t see that as normal. It is also not developmentally appropriate for young children to sit all day. Both of my kids are kinesthetic learners (as are many young children, especially boys!) - they recall more if they are moving or doing something with their hands. We have done handstands during history, cartwheels during science, and rolled across the floor during math! I often read to my daughter while she cleans her room.


How can they pass the state tests?


They don’t have to. They are not public school students. They do not have to pass anyone’s tests. I decide when they have met the requirements to complete a grade.


How will they meet boys/girls?


They are 6 and 8. They have friends in our support group, at church, and at their extracurricular activities. When they are old enough to date and they are interested, they will find kids their age through these same activities. I am not concerned; again, they are just 6 and 8.


What about prom, football games?


Homeschool groups have proms and other activities for teens. In our area, there are homeschool sports teams. They have ample opportunities to see friends play sports; but honestly, they would rather watch a musical (just like mom and dad.)


What about college?


Homeschool students are admitted to college all the time. Some colleges even search out homeschool students. I know a handful who are headed off to college this fall.


What about socialization?


My kids have an amazing relationship with their family. The kids are best friends. They play together all the time. They are not subject to peer pressure, they are unique and I love that they don’t feel the need to hide who they are.


They spend time with people of all ages. Only in school are you forced to remain in an environment with people of your own age in a situation you may not like or feel safe in. As adults, if we dislike a work environment we can quit and find a new job. We make friends based on interests, and we are in situations with people of all ages allowing us to learn from those who are more experienced. Kids in school are not allowed this freedom. My kids have a lot of friends, all these friendships have been created through activities. They have common interests, not common ages.


They live life with their parents. They learn to socialize by example. Their example is from grown adults, interacting in a mature manner (most of the time) not from their peers who are also learning how to socialize.


Be confident in your choice to homeschool, be prepared to answer any question someone asks and maybe you won’t ever be asked! My mom always prepares for rain because then, it won’t rain. I guess the same is true of homeschooling. Prepare to answer anyone's questions, and no one will ask you.

No comments:

Post a Comment