Monday, September 1, 2014

My Monday Munchies - Yummy Spanish Rice!

I have been trying for years to make a decent Spanish or Mexican rice to serve with our tacos, enchiladas, or fajitas. It never turned out the way I wanted it. I tried other people's recipes. I made up my own. I bought mixes. Nothing has satisfied my taste buds.

Until tonight! I finally got it just right. And it was so easy!

What do you need?

1 cup white rice (or brown)
2 cups water
1 jalepeno
1 medium white onion
2 cloves of garlic
salt to taste
broth from the meat you are serving
1/2 cup-1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes

What to do?

Dice the onion and mince the jalepeno.

Bring your water to a boil.

Add the rice, jalepeno, and onion. Cook UNCOVERED. This is opposite of what your rice instructions probably say. It will ensure that all the water cooks away quickly so you can add the broth at the end.* Be sure to stir the rice a few times.

Let the rice cook.

Quarter your tomatoes.

When your meat is done cooking and the liquid has boiled off of the rice, add 3/4-1 cup of broth to your rice. Cook until the liquid is gone again. Your rice should be the perfect consistency. Mine cooked for a total of 20 minutes.(If the liquid boils off of the rice before the meat is done, turn off the heat and let it sit. You don't want it to burn!)

Toss your tomatoes in just before serving.

The rice was tender and full of flavor. The tomatoes gave it just a little kick!



*Why did I add the broth at the end instead of cooking in the broth the whole time? I wanted the juices from the meat I was serving. This made the rice mesh well with the rest of the meal because the seasoning was the same. Had I waited for the meat to be done before starting the rice, I would have had cold chicken. Another option is to start with chicken, beef, or veggie broth instead of water and cook according to the directions on the package.

No comments:

Post a Comment